1 Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,
who walk according to the law of the Lord.
2 Blessed are those who keep his statutes
and seek him with all their heart—
3 they do no wrong
but follow his ways.
4 You have laid down precepts
that are to be fully obeyed.
5 Oh, that my ways were steadfast
in obeying your decrees!
6 Then I would not be put to shame
when I consider all your commands.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart
as I learn your righteous laws.
8 I will obey your decrees;
do not utterly forsake me.
- No one but Jesus is able to be blameless or walk perfectly according to the laws of the Lord. Therefore, the laws of the Lord are meant to show us our “blame” — our inadequacies. Scripture shows us our need for Jesus. When we have Jesus, God sees him when he sees us, and therefore, on Judgement Day, we too will be found blameless, and be blessed.
- We become more like Jesus (we are “blessed”) when we obey (actions) and desire him (seek with our heart). Both actions and attitude matter. We must have both. Both are active, not passive. To seek something is to look tirelessly for it.
- God gives us the roadmap of his ways in Scripture. His way is not hidden. He shows us his ways we are to follow.
- Our obedience must be full. We cannot pick and choose. We cannot partially obey.
- We need to desire to be obedient and pray and ask for his help to be obedient.
- When we compare ourselves to Scripture (and only to Scripture), we should be convicted of where we fall short.
- As we learn more of Scripture, we learn to worship. We cannot worship God apart from following Scripture.
- Obeying Scripture requires a decision and commitment … and it requires prayer.
- How is this passage today showing me my need for Jesus?
- Am I being obedient to Scripture? Am I seeking God? Do I desire Him? How? What’s the evidence? What does it “look like” (practically) for me to seek God?
- Am I following God’s way? Where am I not?
- Where am I only being obedient half-way? (Or not at all?) What do I need to fully surrender to HIS way?
- Do I pray and ask for help to be obedient? Do I desire to be obedient?
- What plumb line of righteousness other than Scripture am I tempted to compare myself to? Am I looking to Scripture to convict and correct?
- When I find my worship lacking, do I look to Scripture?
- Have I made a commitment to obey Scripture and ask God to help me to keep it? Am I trying to be obedient on my own strength?
Key Thoughts Today
- Obey Him
- Seek Him
- Hear Him (Scripture)
- Worship Him
- Pray to Him
Lord, help me to seek you with my whole heart and to desire to be obedient to your Word. Please help me to look only to Scripture for conviction and correction. Where I am weak, you are strong. Please help me — moment by moment — to obey your word and walk in your ways.