Psalm 119:9-16 (NIV)
9 How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.
9. The Psalmist asks a question – how do I keep my way pure? And then he immediately answers himself (I’m almost expecting a “DUH!” here): by living according to your Word. The rest of the passage tells us how to do that.
10. Seek God in the Scriptures. Use his Word as a way to KNOW him. Don’t go halfway. But ask for help. You can’t know God on your own. He must help you to seek Him.
11. Memorize Scriptures. Hide it in your heart. Take it with you so that when you are tempted to stray from God’s way, it is with you.
12. Learn Scripture. Don’t just read it, study it. Break it down. Find the lessons. Apply it to your life.
13. Share Scripture. Don’t be selfish and keep it to yourself. Tell others what you are learning, how you are knowing God, and how He is changing your life..
14. Rejoice in Scripture! This is God’s Word … to YOU! Love it! Take joy that God loves you so much he would send us all we need and hold nothing back!
15. Meditate on Scripture. Let it sink deep into your every thought. Consider God’s ways — in every way — instead of yours.
16. Take delight in Scripture. Do it DAILY. Do not neglect Scripture. A plant that is neglected will wither and die. Just like a plant, we need to be “fed, watered, and exposed to the ‘son’ DAILY in order to grow, flourish and produce fruit. If we neglect these regular disciplines even for just a short time, our spiritual health will wither and fade and cease to grow.
9. How am I living according to God’s Word?
10. How am I seeking God? Partially or with ALL my heart? Am I asking God to help me to do that well every day?
11. Am I memorizing Scripture? Am I hiding it in my heart? Am then, am I listening when Scripture comes to me?
12. Am I learning Scripture? Am I really studying it and seeking to learn from it? Am I applying those lessons? (Not just intellectually … but really living them out?)
13. Am I sharing Scripture with others?
14. Do I REJOICE in Scripture?
15. Do I let Scripture permeate my every thought and meditate on it throughout the day?
16. Am I taking such delight in Scripture that I do it daily? When I neglect Scripture, why? (Go back to verse 10).
Lord, please help me to live according to your Word. Help me to seek, memorize, learn, share, rejoice, meditate and delight in Scripture.